Teaching, =) or =( ?

I'm baaack. I've been busy with work and stressed out. The semester is ending and I'm running low on energy because apparently I used up most of my energy during the first half of the semester. Or am I just running low on energy these days becuase I don't have enough time anymore to re-fuel? I'm really busy so I don't have enough time to re-charge through rest, relaxation, and recreation (I did have that kind of time during the first half of the semester). Right now I wish I had more time for myself. You know, more time to sleep in when I want to. More time to just hang out with my brothers. More time to enjoy that cup of freshly brewed coffee. And I definitely need more time to read. I haven't read for myself/for leisure since the Christmas break. That's not good. Reading is one of my "querencia." I really feel low when I don't get to read much. Right now I don't get to read at all. =( I know that I am very happy only when I am really into a book.

I have a love/hate relationship with my job right now. I can say that I truly love teaching and that I truly love (my) students. But sometimes the job gets me down because I am "overworked and underpaid" and "unappreciated." And sometimes (my) students are not so loveable! But I know I want to stay in this job. Maybe I just really need the frequent breaks from it (Christmas break, sem break, summer break, etc.).

I need a life outside of teaching. Teaching is a 24/7 job. After classes you still have to check papers, research for your lectures, and prepare activities for your classes. I always think about/remember my students. And students text me, call me, and email me with their questions and with their work that they want me to check during the weekend, late at night, and early in the morning. I need a hobby or a sideline or something that is OUTSIDE of teaching English. I also need to stop neglecting my own education. I'm starting to feel stupid just studying what I need to teach my students (these are things that I learned myself years ago and have taught before!).I need to grow. I need to keep myself sharp, for my own satisfaction and my own growth but also so that I have a lot more to offer my students, so that I can continue to improve as a teacher.

Comments

Anonymous said…
hi tarie:) cute blog..i knew it was gonna be pink:) how are you???i might be comin over ur place one of these days to bring some stuff jp asked my mom to buy:)