MA Class, Eragon (part 3), and Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception

Our last meeting for English 242: American Individualism was Friday. We read the proposals for our final papers/projects and had coffee and donuts. =) I'm going to work on Katherine Paterson's Bridge to Terabithia and Lois Lowry's The Giver, CY is going to work on Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho, James will work on the Calvin and Hobbes cartoon strip, and Cora will work on Chinese-American female writers. Boy, summer classes went by pretty quickly. It was a good class. I had to read a lot, I learned a lot, and the class made me think about a lot of things. We've also had to do some serious writing. I had to write a report on Sinclair Lewis' Babbitt (by the way, I do NOT recommend that book); an essay on the concept of the female self as seen in Maxine Hong Kingston's No Name Woman, Katherine Anne Porter's The Jilting of Granny Weatherall, and Tillie Olsen's Tell Me a Riddle; and a proposal/abstract for my final paper. There is still the final paper to be passed on the 25th. I am definitely NOT complaining, I loved my summer class and I love my topic for my final paper. I'm actually excited about working on my final paper. This is one paper I will definitely enjoy researching for and writing. I love Prof. Ancheta. I'm going to start "courting" her to be my thesis adviser. Hehe. CY and I are thinking of taking her English 212: Pre-Shakespearean Drama class next semester. Geez, is my blog too academic? Oh well, I AM an "academic."

I finished reading Eragon 3 a.m. this morning! My final verdict? I do recommend Eragon to other readers. But don't expect it to be as good as The Lord of the Rings or The Chronicles of Narnia. Those two series are the BEST fantasy series EVER and the (Eragon) Inheritance Trilogy is obviously not complete yet. Eragon is a good book. I say this because I found the story interesting and I can't wait for the next two books in the trilogy. I really want to know what happens next, how things develop. For example, I want to read about Eragon's probable romance with Arya. *Sigh* =) There were several times I was pierced with emotion while reading the book (not while reading about Eragon and Arya though). For me, what REALLY makes the book good is the beautiful, beautiful relationship between Eragon and his dragon Saphira. (Makes me want to have a dragon of my own, remember?) I won't give any spoilers, I just want to say that I really don't trust Murtagh and The Twins. Please don't trust them Eragon. Christopher Paolini, please don't allow Eragon to be fooled TOO much by those characters. Lastly, I think the best of the trilogy is still to come. Part Two will probably be better than Part One (there IS room for improvement from/in Part One). Part Three will probably be the best in the trilogy, one reason is because the first two books will create a reservoir of experiences we can draw from to enrich our reading of Part Three.

The next book I will read for leisure is Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl: The Opal Deception. It's the fourth book in the Artemis Fowl series. I recommend this series especially to male readers. The Artemis Fowl series seems to have more testosterone compared to other fantasy series and the stories are really stories of adventure. My brother JP didn't have the patience or desire to finish The Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of Narnia, or the Harry Potter series, but he's been really following the Artemis Fowl series.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've already got a copy of Eragon and i started reading it yesterday. You already finished the book? That was fast. i heard that there's going to be a movie on the chronicles of narnia..hmmm