DOUBT

Saturday night my best friend CY and I watched the Atlantis production of the winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Drama and Tony Award for Best Play in 2005. Doubt is John Patrick Shanley's lean drama (set in a Bronx Catholic school in 1964): the rigid and resolute Sister Aloysius accuses easygoing Father Flynn of child molestation. According to Shanley, "Doubt perhaps will help us to remember what was good, what was bad, and what can never be known [about the Catholic Church]."

This Philippine production of Doubt was directed by Chari Arespacochaga and starred Cherie Gil (Sister Aloysius), Niccolo Manahan (Father Flynn), Cathy Azanza (Sister James), and Jay Glorioso (Mrs. Muller). I am so glad I watched this play. It's a well-told story. It's thought-provoking and enjoyable to watch. We got great seats at an affordable price. The acting was impressive. The acting was the best part of the production. I am now a fan of Cherie Gil and a big fan of Niccolo Manahan. Niccolo Manahan was awesome, and he's hot! He was so good. I thought the set design was great. Kudos to production designer Mio Infante and lighting designer Johnny Reyes.

I remember watching another Atlantis production of a Pulitzer and Tony winning play: Proof by David Auburn*. That was a really good production too. Atlantis Productions also brought Baby the Musical, The Rocky Horror Show, Rent, Jesus Christ Superstar, and Hedwig and the Angry Inch to the Philippines. I'm definitely going to watch out for more from Atlantis Productions. They even have a publishing division called Altantis Manuscripts and have published a children's book and are developing the Philippines' first educational-audio reading center for blind and dyslexic children. I'm impressed, so later I'm gonna head on over to www.atlantisproductionsinc.com.

*Thursday CY and I watched the movie The Lake House starring Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock. The screenplay is by David Auburn. I like The Lake House a lot. What can I say? I'm a sucker for happy endings and Keanu Reeves is really nice to look at! =)

Comments

Tin (ni Johann) said…
"The Lake House" is actually an American remake of a Korean movie titled "Il Mare" -- try to see that one and tell me what you think. ^_^
Tarie Sabido said…
I heard about that. =) I'll try to watch the Korean (original) version. =)