Meme: One Book

I think I've answered this meme before, but Khristine tagged me so I'll happily answer it again. =)


1. One book that changed your life

JRR Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings helped me decide to teach college English (literature in particular) and to study fantasy literature and children's literature. The Lord of the Rings (including the movies) helped me decide on a career!

2. One book you have read more than once

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. It's one of my favorite books. I've read it at least three times and I still want to read it again. I love reading about the garden. =)

3. One book you would want on a desert island

I need the Bible if I'm stuck on a desert island. But that's non-fiction. I assume this question is for fiction. So I would want The Lord of the Rings or C.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia with me. I will never get tired of those books and I can get something new from them every time I read them.

4. One book that made you laugh

Shakespeare's comedies make me laugh =)

5. One book that made you cry

The Chronicles of Narnia, especially The Horse and His Boy (my favorite in the series). The way Aslan was always there for the boy... *sniffle*

6. One book you wish had been written

A children's book (maybe something about a family picnic?) or young adult novel (probably about a Filipino-American adjusting to moving back to the Philippines after living in the US for so long - yes, semi-autobiographical!) written by ME - so far all I have is a children's/young adult short story

7. One book you wish had never been written

All books have their worth =)

8. One book you are currently reading

I just read Beatrix Potter's The Tale of Peter Rabbit again. I'm currently thinking about what to read next. Any suggestions?

9. One book you have been meaning to read

ALL Newbery Medal winners and Newbery Honor books - for leisure and for my MA thesis and/or PhD dissertation and Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy (gotta read it in time for the movie!)


*I'm tagging Natalie, Janece, Nice, Jill, Roy, SM Light, and Carlo! (Please leave your answers in the comment box if you have no blog. =) )

Comments

Anonymous said…
I haven't really been doing any leisure readings lately, Tarie. If you had asked me about One Drink... ;)
Okay... I'm working on it.
Anonymous said…
Ditto what Natalie said. Our internet access has been dead for the last 4-5 days... so I'm catching up. But I will answer the call. ;)
Jillian said…
Oh, what a wonderful insight into your literary mind!!! :)

Ur...am I the "Jill," or is that someone else? LOL!

So, what do you like the best about The Secret Garden? I read that one out loud to my children years ago, as well as The Little Princess and Little Lord Fauntleroy. And I'll tell you what....I HATED Little Lord Faunleroy! LOL I think Frances was having a bad year when she wrote that one. ;)
Tarie Sabido said…
Of course you're the Jill I tagged! =) I would love to know your answers to the meme. =) ...How to explain what I like best about The Secret Garden? The last time I read it was many years ago but I really have been meaning to read it again. This is what I remember: It's very readable - I think the prose is very fluid. Beautiful prose. The characters are very "three dimensional"/"rounded" and "dynamic." I love the way the garden was described! The garden can be considered a character in the novel. =) And it's my favorite character. ;) I don't like The Little Princess. Why? Because I find it so sad! Waaahhh! =(
Jillian said…
Oh goodie....I was hoping it was me! :) I'll get that up on my blog later today.

Did you ever see the (dorky!!) Shirley Temple movie version of The Little Princess? They make her father actually be alive at the end! That would definitely have made the book a more satisfying read.