An Oldie, But a Goodie

Are you up for a game? In the mood for a good mystery? Then I highly recommend you read the 1979 Newbery Award winner, The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin!


The Westing Game

Number of players: 16, divided into 8 pairs

Madame Hoo (cook) & Jake Wexler (podiatrist)
Turtle Wexler (junior high school student) & Flora Baumbach (dressmaker)
Chris Theodorakis (birdwatcher) & Denton Deere (intern)
Sandy McSouthers (doorman) & J.J. Ford (judge)
Grace Wexler (decorator) & James Hoo (restaurateur)
Berthe Erica Crow (cleaning woman) & Otis Amber (delivery boy)
Theo Theodorakis (high school senior) & Doug Hoo (high school senior)
Sydelle Pulaski (secretary) & Angela Wexler (fiancee)

Each pair will receive: $10,000 and one set of clues. No two sets of clues are alike.

Players will be given two days' notice of the next session. Each pair may then give one answer.

Object of the game: To win $200 million, find out which of the players murdered millionaire Sam Westing!

Bonus round: Some players are not who they say they are, and some are not who they seem to be. One is a bookie, one is a burglar, one is a bomber, and one is a mistake. Who are these people?


This is a fast-paced read that I could not put down. I had fun trying to solve the puzzle myself. The winners of the Westing contest are: one of the players (find out who) and you - the reader!


A special thank you to one of my best friends, Isaac, for inviting me to play the Westing game. :)

Comments

Tin (ni Johann) said…
oooh~

i read this one a few years back -- interesting concept. were you able to guess the ending?
Tarie Sabido said…
I was able to guess parts of the ending. :P Hehehe.
Anonymous said…
I'm really glad you included this in your blog :) I had so much fun reading it. I liked the characters (Theo's so cute) and how their lives intersected/interconnected. I also enjoyed seeing how they all turned out in the end-- the friendship between Angela and Sydell, Doug's success (I'll stop there... spoiler alert ). I'm a bit of a sucker for happy endings, hehehe :) This is definitely one of my Newbery faves!
Tarie Sabido said…
I love how the characters are quirky! Hehehe. :)
Anonymous said…
I've never read this! Thanks for the review!
Tarie Sabido said…
Hi, Lauren! The Westing Game is a fun, action-packed read. =D

How are you? I've been missing your blog. I was sick this week so I haven't been able to visit. =(